Friday, October 3, 2008

ORBS OF LIGHT AT SHEIKH ZAYED MOSQUE






A while ago, I saw photos on Google and MSN and Yahoo that were remarkable. This category of photos goes by different names. Mostly, though, people use the word "orb" in some sense for this phenomenon. I have seen this same phenomenon on YouTube. Anyway, last night, at the Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, I had my first experience of these "orbs of light" around the Mosque. It happened only in certain directions - towards the Qibla, and towards the tomb of Sheikh Zayed. Initially, I thought it was just a light trick and that my lens was dirty. I cleaned it, aimed again, and the same phenomenon happened. My 2 friends were with me, and the 3 of us were gob-smacked at the photos I took. This did not seem to work on other cameras. I also shot videos in the same direction, but there was no phenomenon on the videos. Here are some photos...