Sunday, September 23, 2007

AN NOUR - the light

Here is one of the many reasons why I fell in love with the Holy Qur'an:
Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as if there were a niche and within it a lamp: the lamp enclosed in glass: the glass as it were a brilliant star: lit from a blessed tree, an olive, neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil is well nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it: light upon Light. Allah does guide whom He will to His Light: Allah does set forth parables for men: and Allah knows all things.
The simple beauty of this Holy Book has touched my heart. Who can reproduce such excellence?

3 comments:

Kamran said...

Have you read Road to Makkah by Muhammad Asad Rahimahullah? I am sure you must have read it as you are an English teacher and the Road to Makkah is an excellent piece of English literature.
Wassalaam
Kamran (K.A. Shaikh)

Humairah Irfan said...

Yea, it's a beautiful ayah! Everytime I read it, I feel moved by it.

I have a Tafseer (commentary+explanatory notes) on the Qur'an, it's called The Meaning of the Qur'an by S Abul A'La Maududi. Would you like to read it? It's 6 volumes..

http://odd-wisdom.blogspot.com/2006/10/parable-of-allah-swt.html

Amien said...

Masha Allah. Mabrook on your journey to Islam. Now, I wish you all of the best with your journey in Islam. I ask Allah to make your journey in Islam and the Qur'an one of continuous exploration and discovery, and I also ask Allah to guide us all to His Light with His Light and through His Light. Finally, I ask Allah to make for you the Qur'an an anchor and a pillar of strength to take you through the rugged parts of the path that you are now treading such that the path is always smooth to you despite the ruggedness.

So, laat dit maar goed gaan met jou, my broer, en moet nie vergeet om vir my ook 'n klein gebetjie te maak nie. Vergewe ons as ons somtyds te oorgretig voorkom, dis maar altyd net 'n plesier om te weet dat die Oemmah is weereens een man sterker.

Ibn Uthman (Abu Dhabi)