Saturday, September 15, 2007

THE ROSE OF JERICHO



A year ago, I had a dream that would prove to be a sign post on my way to the United Arab Emirates. I was looking at a protest march of Palestinians, protesting over the murder of their brothers by Israeli soldiers. We have all seen the suffering and tears of the Palestinian people. We know the pain. As I watched in awe with much agony, I heared a voice repeat a few times: The Rose of Jericho, the Rose of Jericho. I had no idea what this meant, but for some reason or other the words clung to my soul like a choice blessing of the Almighty. I googled "Rose of Jericho" and discovered that it is a breath-taking plant. Evidently, this plant ostensibly appears to be dead, until water is poured over it. In a flash, it appears to be resurrected from the dead and before your eyes new life sprouts in its dry twigs. So awesome is this that many people refer to this plant as the "Resurrection Plant" and they may leave it at the graveside as an expression of their faith in the Day of Resurrection.

After reflecting on this awesome plant for a while, I knew that its message to me was this: In the desert you will live again! I have no doubt that my being here in the UAE, in the desert of Al Ain, is a fulfilment of the promise of this plant in my dreams. Here in the desert I am living again! The name "Al Ain" refers to "The Eye" that gives water in a dry land. It is here that fresh water is being poured over me. It is here that the dryness of my own life revives!

There is no way to describe the uncanny familiarity that I have with this land, its people, its culture and its religion. It's like all of this is part of the unfolding mystery of my personal purpose.

Thank you UAE, thank you my students at the Military High School in Al Ain for allowing me to be a part of your dream and for embracing me. Alhamdulillah!

No comments: